Taken during the Edinburgh, Scotland RB meet (13 Nov 2010).
The Clock tower on the main block of the old Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh on Lauriston Place, now incorporated into the Quartermile project, a cosmopolitan mix of luxury conversion and new build apartments, cafés and shops in a prime city centre location.
In 1872, the architect David Bryce was asked to design a new Royal Infirmary, and his plans were heavily influenced by the “pavilion” model advanced by the nursing pioneer, Florence Nightingale. The Infirmary moved to Lauriston Place in 1879, and at the time, it was described as “probably the best planned hospital” in the whole of Britain. Beneath an imposing clock tower, the walls of the impressive marble entrance hall were lined with wood panels, listing the benefactors who had given donations to the new hospital.
In 1998, then Scottish Secretary Donald Dewar signed the agreement that would build a brand new Royal Infirmary at Little France, on the south-east outskirts of the city. The first patients were treated in January 2002, and the phased move from Lauriston was finally completed in 2003.
The Old and New Towns of Edinburgh are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Sigma 18-200mm
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Related shots can be found at: Edinburgh.