The National Galleries of Scotland look after one of the world’s finest collections of Western art ranging from the Middle Ages to the present day.
Designed by the architect William Henry Playfair (1790-1857), the Royal Scottish Academy and the National Gallery of Scotland stand in the heart of Edinburgh, Scotland. Although originally built as separate structures, their histories have long been intertwined, and since the completion of the Playfair Project in 2004, they have been physically joined by the underground Weston Link.
Prince Albert layed the foundation stone of the National Gallery at The Mound on 30 August, 1850. The Gallery was finally opened to the public on 24 March, 1859. The building is shared by the National Gallery and the Royal Scottish Academy.
The National Gallery’s collection of pictures, as well as public and political appetite for a permanent record of Scots achievement, grew to such an extent that in 1882, the Scottish National Portrait Gallery was founded. Much of the campaigning and fundraising was undertaken by the local newspaper proprietor, John Ritchie Findlay. The Scottish National Portrait Gallery opened to the public in 1889.
The complex now houses:
- National Gallery of Scotland
- Royal Scottish Academy Building
- Scottish National Portrait Gallery
This shot shows the Weston Link from Princes Street Gardens East.
The National Gallery of Scotland is a Category A Listed Building (HB Number 27679).
The Royal Scottish Academy is a Category A Listed Building (HB Number 27744).
The Old and New Towns of Edinburgh are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Sigma 18-200mm
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro 4.0.1.