The remains of a much altered tower windmill stand at the corner of Tower Street and The Shore in Leith. The Shore was the original Port of Leith which serviced the city of Edinburgh.
Original built as a windmill, the 50 foot high Signal Tower was constructed in 1686 by Master Mason Robert Mylne of Balfargie (1633 – 1710). In 1805, its domed roof and sails were removed and it was topped with a battlemented parapet from which flags were flown to signal ships in the port. The base of the building is now Fishers in Leith.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Sigma 18-200mm
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro 4.0.