Situated on the High Street section of the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, Scotland, the High Street Wellhead is one of a number of wellheads which once were the only means for the people of Edinburgh to access water.
The plaque reads:
THE HIGH STREET WELLHEAD
The original Wellhead or Cistern in this position, probably of around 1675, had a chequered history. It was seriously damaged by a horse-drawn Fire Engine in January 1897 and rebuilt.
The Cisterns provided water from Comiston Springs via the Castlehill Reservior for the inhabitants of the Old Town. They became important meeting places where long queues formed. They fell into disuse in the 19th Century when supplies to individual houses became possible.
The Wellhead was rebuilt again and restored to use with basins and running drinking water by the Edinburgh Old Town Renewal Trust and Lothian and Edinburgh Enterprise Limited in 1997.
The Old and New Towns of Edinburgh are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix 3.2.9.
Featured in : Your Country’s Best : 25 Aug 10