The last remaining structures on the former Kirkliston Distillery/Scotmalt site in the village of Kirkliston an outlying suburb of Edinburgh, Scotland.
Most of the buildings have been demolished, leaving only two maltings which are planned to be incorporated in a new housing development. However, the site has lain like this since 2006, a victim of the recession. The only reason these two buldings have survived thus far is that they are Historic Scotland Category C(S) Listed Buildings (HB Number 45644).
The most interesting building is probably the patent still house, a rare (one of two known in Scotland) surviving example of a tower-like structure designed to accommodate a Coffey still, which comprised a pair of tall columns (an analyser and a rectifier). The distillery is illustrated in Alfred Barnard’s The Whisky Distilleries of the UK (published 1887).
The distillery was founded by George Simpson & Co in 1795-9 as the Lambsmiln Distillery, later changing its name to Kirkliston Distillery. By the 1880s the Distillery was producing some 700,000 gallons of grain and malt whisky each year, grain being brought in to a railway siding. The distillery operated a steam locomotive, No 843. The distillery ceased spirit production and closed in 1920, and was later taken over by Scotmalt to produce malt extract for the food industry and for home brew beer kits.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS