A row of former miner’s cottages on the edge of town in Wanlockhead, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland.
High in the Lowther Hills to the west of the M74, Wanlockhead is Scotland’s highest village at 467m (1531 ft). It owes its existence to the lead, gold and other minerals found under the surrounding countryside.
These mineral deposits were probably first exploited by the Romans and from the 1200s they were being worked again by groups of miners who gathered here each summer. The first permanent settlement appeared in about 1680, when the Duke of Buccleuch built a lead smelting plant and workers’ cottages that could be occupied all year round.
Although lead was for many centuries the mainstay of the village’s economy, it was not the only mineral found here. What became known as “God’s Treasure House” also produced zinc, copper, silver and gold. Some of the world’s purest gold, at 22.8 carats, was found locally and used in the Regalia of the Scottish Crown.
Today’s Wanlockhead depends primarily on tourism. The Southern Upland Way long distance footpath passes through the village, but the main attraction for the motoring tourist revolves around the village’s industrial past.
Information from Undiscovered Scotland.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Shot composed of 4 HDR images individually Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro 3.2.9 then stitched together in Photoshop Elements 8. Each HDR image is made up of 3 bracketed JPGs, so there are 12 images in total making up the shot.
Sold 1 Greeting Card : 6th Dec 12
Sold 1 Small Art Print : 28 July 16