Just to the south of Dunfermline’s High Street lies one of Scotland’s most unusual churches. The Abbey Church of Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland is two very distinct churches, joined in the middle. The effect is unexpected but attractive. The Abbey Church, as the name suggests, was the church serving Dunfermline Abbey.
A church probably already existed on this site in 1070, when King Malcolm III married Queen Margaret. Margaret liked Dunfermline so much she set up a Benedictine foundation here. This was later transformed by her son King David I into what was intended to become the most important abbey in Scotland. Work was started in 1128 on the Abbey Church and the nave still survives as the western half of the building on view today.
During the building of the new Abbey Church in 1819 bones believed to be those of Robert the Bruce, because of their position and because of a cut breastbone (to allow the removal of his heart), were discovered. Robert was reinterred in the centre of the new Abbey Church, 560 years after his death.
His grave now lies under the magnificent pulpit covered by a large brass grave marker. And to celebrate his presence the words “KING ROBERT THE BRUCE” were formed with large stone lettering around the four sides of the crown of the tower. Subtle it isn’t, but striking it most certainly is.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Three sets of three bracketed JPGs (nine images in total) separately Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro 3.2.9 then PhotoMerged in Photoshop CS4.
Related shots can be found at: Dunfermline.
Featured in : Your Magic Place : 10 Aug 10
Featured in : Your Country’s Best : 11 Aug 10
Featured in : Unique Buildings Of The World : 12 Aug 10
Featured in : Christian Churches, Statues and Crosses : 17 Aug 10
Featured in : Solo Exhibition : 5 Sep 10
Featured in : Solo Exhibition : 15 Oct 10
Top Ten place in the Best Featured Artwork Challenge in the Christian Churches, Statues and Crosses Group, 5 Mar 11