The oldest stone bridge in the Highlands of Scotland which was the first bridge allowing the River Dulnain to be crossed with dry feet was built in what is now Carrbridge, Inverness-shire, Scotland, between May and November 1717 by a mason called John Niccelsone. He did so at the behest of Brigadier-General Alexander Grant of Grant at a cost of £100.
The main aim of the bridge was to ensure that funeral processions from the south did not have to be delayed reaching Duthil Church when the river was in spate and unfordable.
The bridge was damaged by a great flood (the Muckle Spate) in 1829, leaving the present fragile looking archway we see today.
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Sold a Medium Canvas Print : 28th Jan 09
Sold 1 Card : 6 Aug 11
Sold 1 Card : 5 Jan 12