The Coalburn Silver Band march proudly down the main street during the Coalburn Gala Day celebrations on 3rd July 2010.
Formed in 1902, the Coalburn Silver Band were Scottish Champions 2009 and are the only surviving brass band in the South Lanarkshire area, having its roots in the coal mining industry.
Coalburn developed from the 1850s as a railway settlement associated with local coal mines. With the closure of the railway to passengers in 1965 and the last colliery and mineral traffic on the railway in 1968, the village population declined from a peak of nearly 2,300 to approximately 1,000.
The giant Dalquhandy opencast mine that opened in the village in the late 1980s became the biggest mine in Europe by the early 1990s. Scottish Coal stopped operations at Dalquhandy in 2002.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro 3.2.9.