The station was opened in October 1878 by the Midland Railway (MR) as the terminus of their 6-mile (9.7 km) branch line from Hawes Junction (now renamed Garsdale).
After many years of disuse, the site was purchased by the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority and converted into a museum and tourist information centre in the early 1990s, a role it continues to fulfill to this day. As part of this scheme, the station buildings and platforms were refurbished, a short length of track relaid and on display and facing Garsdale is a 0-6-0T (RSHN 7845/1955) dressed-up in BR livery as ‘67345’ at the head of three Mark 1 coaches. The locomotive is a replica of the last locomotive to work out of Hawes Station.
Although isolated from the national rail network for over fifty years, the Wensleydale Railway hopes one day to restore the station to active use by reopening the currently abandoned and derelict section of line between Redmire and Garsdale.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro.
Featured in : European Everyday Life : 28 Jun 10