Formerly an Inn run by Widow Harrison, the building was bought by the Quakers in 1754 as a rest house for friends before or after meetings at the nearby meeting house, at a time when friends travelled many miles to attend the meetings and needed somewhere to rest and eat. A condition of the occupancy at that time was that penniless travellers had to be taken in.
There is an inscription over the middle door: Ano Dom 1668, God being with us, who can be against A.T.F The initials being of a certain Thomas Arthur Fawcett a Quaker.
Cockett’s Hotel in the post war years was a restaurant which catered for passing travellers, Hawes being on one of the main routes to the resorts on the north west coast from the Yorkshire industrial areas like Leeds and Bradford.
In those post war years of the 1950’s a Mrs Cockett would serve up refreshments and meals to coach loads of travellers after they disembarked from the charabanc.
Also worth noting is that Cockett’s was a Temperance Hotel at that time!
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Four RAW images individually Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro 3.2.9 then Photomerged and perspective correction in Photoshop CS4.
Featured in : A Building somewhere….. : 9 June 12