Out for a pleasant days shooting on a rather grey winters day on 7th February 2010 with some other RB members in Edinburgh Scotland.
Located towards the eastern end of the Canongate at the bottom of the Royal Mile, not far from Holyrood Palace, is one of the most picturesque closes (or passageways) of Edinburgh’s Old Town. Despite its ‘olde-worlde’ appearance, most of White Horse Close is rather more recent than the 1623 date it displays. In fact this date-stone was modified in the 1930s, having previously recorded an implausible 1523.
This was the site of the Royal Mews in the sixteenth century, and later was known by several names including Laurence Ord’s Close and Davidson’s Close. Ord rebuilt the existing tenement and erected the White Horse Inn and coaching stables in 1623 which he named in honour of Mary, Queen of Scots white palfrey. It was from here that the coach left Edinburgh for London. The journey took a week. Prince Charles Edward Stuart’s officers were quartered at the Inn when they entered Edinburgh in 1745.
The current name, White Horse Close, is probably derived from the name of the Inn.
The close was rebuilt as worker’s houses in 1889 and completely reconstructed in the vernacular style by Frank Mears & Partners (1961-4). The result is described by Gifford et. al. in the Edinburgh volume of the ‘Buildings of Scotland’ as so blatantly fake that it can be acquitted of any intention to deceive, but remains a small fantasy worth experiencing.
William Dick (1793 – 1866), founder of the Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies (now part of the University of Edinburgh) was born here.
The Old and New Towns of Edinburgh are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro.
Featured in : ImageWriting : 4 Jun 10
Featured in : Heritage Listed and Other Trusts Sites World Wide : 4 Jun 10
Featured in : Cee’s Fun Artsy Friends : 4 Jun 10
Featured in : The Scots are Coming : 5 Jun 10
Featured in : A Building somewhere….. : 5 May 12