Originally opened in 1902 it was designed by architect W. Hamilton Beattie and was known as the North British Hotel, a traditional railway hotel built for the North British Railway adjacent to their Waverley Railway Station.
It kept the same name until the late 1980s when it was renamed the Balmoral Hotel after refurbishment, despite being located over 100 miles south of Balmoral Castle. For travellers arriving by train, the hotel provided comfortable and elegant lodgings, before they continued their journeys. The building’s architecture is Victorian, influenced by the traditional Scottish baronial style.
The hotel is located in the very heart of the city at 1 Princes Street, the main shopping area overlooking Edinburgh Castle. The Balmoral is a landmark in its own right, its clock tower can be seen from all around. Given that the hotel is adjacent to the station, the clock is always set two minutes fast to ensure that people don’t miss their trains.
In February 2007 it was confirmed that author J.K. Rowling finished the last book in the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows at this hotel. Rowling left a signed statement written on a marble bust of Hermes in her room saying; JK Rowling finished writing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in this room (552) on 11th Jan 2007.
The Balmoral Hotel is a Category B Listed Building (HB Number 30315).
The Old and New Towns of Edinburgh are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix 3.2.7.