The village, which is associated with the production of Quicklime (hence the name of the village), brewing and the manufacture of soap and rope, was designated a Conservation Area in 1984.
The present doorway is not the original and the pediment (dated 1581) was placed above the doorway when the latter was inserted.
The building was restored during 1911 and 1912 by the 9th Lord Elgin. Towards the end of the 18th century, when the village school was conducted in the upper chamber, the building was called “The Academy”.
The building has served as a wine cellar, storehouse, school, library, also for balls, concerts and theatricals, and for a time was an Episcopal Church. Baptisms and marriages have taken place in the upper chamber, which in 1912 and for a few years after, had all the appearance of some old medieval chapel.
Today the building is a Freemasons Lodge, Lodge Elgin and Bruce, (founded in 1910) number 1077 on the Roll of the Grand Lodge of Scotland. The Freemasons hold their meetings in the upper chamber and dine in the cellar.
The King’s Cellar is a Category A Listed Building (Ref: 1643).
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro.