One of the main attractions in the walled Old Town of Korčula on the lovely Croatian Island of Korčula is the 15th Century, Gothic Renaissance, Cathedral of St Mark (Local Name: Katedrala Svetog Marka). The Cathedral replaced a 13th century church.
This beautiful cathedral, on Korcula’s main square has a Romanesque portal main doorway created by Bonino of Milano. On either side on the knotted columns are carvings of Adam and Eve with a pair of leaning lions, roaring. Each of them has under its paws a lamb that seems to be alive.
Some of the greatest treasures of St Mark’s Cathedral are found inside. The Renaissance ciborium (canopy) above the altar was done by Marko Andrijic. The remains of St Theodore (one of the three patron saint of Korčula) are held within the cathedral. Above the main alter is a 16th Century painting by Tintoretto, and in the southern nave the “Annunciation” by the same artist. Also of interest are some sculptures in the baptistery, including pieces by Ivan Mestrovic.
The Bishop’s Palace stands immediately to the right of the Cathedral. It is a Renaissance building, built in the 17th Century.The balcony across its whole front is considered to be the longest balcony in the country. A former Palace for the bishop of Korčula (Korčula was the diocesan seat from 1300 to 1828), it is now a museum.
Korčula is the alleged birthplace of the famed explorer Marco Polo.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Sigma 18-200mm
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix.