The weir was originally used to power a trip hammer at Fairafar Mill which was used to work old iron into maleable bars. Now reduced to a shell, this mill, first mentioned in 1676 was originally a waulkmill. (Fulling or tucking or walking (“waulking” in Scotland) is a step in woollen clothmaking which involves the cleansing of cloth (particularly wool) to eliminate oils, dirt, and other impurities, and making it thicker. The worker who does the job is a fuller, tucker, or walker. The Welsh word for a fulling mill is pandy. This is used in several place-names.)
There is no evidence that Fairafar Mill was developed for iron-making before 1770. In 1773 the mill was turned into the works forge after the arrival of the Cadells at Cramond Mill, where small forgings such as files, plough socs and girdles were made.
Locate this part of Edinburgh by clicking here.
The Fairafar Weir and Mill remains are a Category B Listed Building (HB Number 47281).
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Related shots can be found at: Edinburgh.