Its two most visible façades look towards the Venetian Lagoon and St Mark’s Square, or rather the Piazzetta. The use of arcading in the lower stories produces an interesting “gravity-defying” effect. There is also effective use of colour contrasts.
The current palace was largely constructed from 1309 to 1424, designed perhaps by Filippo Calendario. It replaced earlier fortified buildings of which relatively little is known. Giovanni and Bartolomeo Bon created the Porta della Carta in 1442, a monumental late-gothic gate on the Piazzetta side of the palace. This gate leads to a central courtyard.
The palace was badly damaged by fire in 1574. In the subsequent rebuilding work it was decided to respect the original Gothic style, despite the submission of a neo-classical alternative design by Palladio. However, there are some classical features — for example, since the 16th century, the palace has been linked to the prison by the Bridge of Sighs (Italian: Ponte dei Sospiri).
As well as being the ducal residence, the palace housed political institutions of the Republic of Venice until the Napoleonic occupation of the city.
Information supplied by Wikipedia.
The whole of Venice and its Lagoon is designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Two RAW images, Photomerged in PS Elements to provide a panorama view of the Palace.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
BEST VIEWED LARGER