The former Forsyth’s Department Store on the corner of Princes Street and South St Andrews Street in Edinburgh, Scotland. Now a Topshop/Topman outlet.
Built 1906-07 by Sir John James Burnet as R W Forsyth’s flagship store at Nos 31 and 32 Princes Street. It was the first fully steel-framed building in Scotland, and showed a very early use of glazed brick. The steelwork was supplied by Redpath Brown, and erected by Ferguson & Co of Glasgow.
The Department Store replaced an earlier building at 31 and 32 Princes Street, originally built by George Washington Browne in 1891 for Messrs Redfern. Burnet apparently greatly regretted having to demolish this building. Forsyth’s closed in the 1970s, and the building was sold to the Burton Group.
The Old and New Towns of Edinburgh are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix 3.2.