Cammo House was originally built as a 5 bay, 2 storey house with attic & basement in 1693 for John Menzies, and the surrounding parkland was laid out between 1710-26 by Sir John Clerk of Penicuik (1676–1755). In 1741, the estate passed to the Watsons of Saughton. The house was extended several times over the centuries.
In the latter part of the 19th century the estate was purchased by Mr & Mrs Clark who divorced in 1909, Mrs Clark stayed on at Cammo with her son, adopting the surname Maitland-Tennant.
Mrs Maitland-Tennant and her son Percival lived in a caravan nearby & turned the house with all its contents over to a pack of more than 20 dogs who lived & died amongst the debris. Mrs Maitland-Tennant died in 1955 & her son, died 20 years later.
Cammo was handed over to the National Trust of Scotland in 1975 after Percivals death. The house was so badly damaged that the majority was demolished leaving just part of the principal façade.
The City of Edinburgh Council now maintain the grounds and operate a ranger service. Cammo is thought to have been the inspiration for the “House of Shaws” in Robert Louis Stevenson’s novel Kidnapped.
Shot taken on 10th February 2010.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro 3.2.
BEST VIEWED LARGER