The Church of the Annunciation (the cathedral of Rhodes) and its Campanile Tower at Mandarki Habour in the City of Rhodes, on the beautiful Greek Island of Rhodes.
Built in 1925 by the Italians, following the architectural design of the old gothic Church of Saint John (which is located in the Old City of Rhodes) and was also dedicated to the patron of the Order (Saint John).
Mandraki Harbour or Limani Mandrakiou is the old harbour of the City of Rhodes. It served as the military harbour for the Knights of St John during their time as defenders of Rhodes Old Town and would have played host to their fleet that was used to mount sea-faring raids on non-Christian ships. These days Mandarki Harbour serves as the berths for the luxury cruisers and yachts that tie up here throughout the summer months.
The name Mandraki is derived from the Greek mandri, meaning a sheep pen, such is the oval shape of this sheltered and almost totally enclosed harbour.
Mandraki harbour entrance is guarded by two sculptures of Rhodian Deer, a stag and a doe on either side atop of slim, elegant columns.
Rhodes is a Greek island approximately 18 kilometres (11 mi) southwest of Turkey in the eastern Aegean Sea. It is the largest of the Dodecanese islands.
The medieval Old Town of the City of Rhodes is designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro 4.1.4.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Sigma 18-200mm
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Featured in : Greece and all things Hellenic : 7 Feb 10