The old Customs House (Local Name: Dogana di Mare), where ships once stopped to pay their tolls in Venice, Italy. Built by Giuseppe Benoni between 1676 and 1682.
The old customs house, dwarfed by the massive dome of the Santa Maria della Salute, is located on the furthermost point of the Punta della Dogana, the wedge-shaped peninsular at the entrance to the Grand Canal.
The original 14th century watch tower was constructed for the purpose of preventing tax evasion. It was replaced by the present structure in 1690.
Its buttressed square tower supports two bronze Atlases who shoulder a gilded globe on which the Goddess Fortuna, sculpted in the form of an elegant bronze weathervane, holds a gilded sail to the breeze.
A new addition, located at the very tip of Punta della Dogana is Charles Ray’s 8 foot tall white steel sculpture of a boy playing with a frog. Simple called “Boy With Frog”.
The whole of Venice and its Lagoon is designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Sigma 18-200mm
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Featured in : Christian Churches, Statues and Crosses : 23 Jan 11