People’s Square in the beautiful old city of Split, Croatia.
What is now officially called Narodni Trg (People’s Square) and unofficially known by the “Splicani” (the inhabitants of Split!) as Pjaca (local version of Italian Piazza) was once San Lorenzo’s square (Trg Svetog Lovre) – the first area where medieval Split spread outside of the western walls of the Diocletian’s Palace, when the Palace became too small for the growing town. At the western side of the Palace, it is a nice square surrounded by houses in venetian style. Pjaca is now a popular meeting point and a place with bars and shops.
The Gothic former City Hall (on the right of the shot) is the only remaining building of the municipal complex that was built here in late 14th Century. Today it houses an Etnographic Museum (established in 1910). The front of the building has three Gothic arches supported by two columns with capitals.
At the end of the Pjaca is the Nakic Palace, one of the most important examples of the Art Nouveau in Split, built by Spiro Nakic in 1902. It brought the new tendencies of Viennese Secession architecture to Split, with its round corners and rich floristic ornamentation. There’s a good bookshop on the ground floor.
The Historical Complex of Split with the Palace of Diocletian is designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Sigma 18-200mm
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Sold 1 Postcard : 10 Oct 15