Located on the island of Giudecca in Venice, Italy, the Church of St Eufemia (visible in the shot on the left of the Sant’Eufemia Bridge) was founded in 865 and initially dedicated to four female saints – Euphemia, Dorothy, Tecla and Erasma, but as time passed the first saint’s name came to dominate. The church became known colloquially as Famia and was renovated in 952. Reconsecrated in 1371 after rebuilding and renovated in the second half of the 16th Century and again in the mid-18th, when it acquired new altars.
The portico along the side facing the Giudecca Canal is by Michele Sanmicheli and was donated by Giovanni Stucky in 1883. It dates from 1596 and was actually designed as the choir of the church of Santi Biagio e Cataldo, which was demolished to make way for the Mulino Stucky mill (now a swanky hotel) nearby.
The church has a small (10m) Campanile which dates from the mid-18th Century, but restored in 1883. A drawing by Canaletto of around 1730 shows it once had a sugar-loaf spire.
The whole of Venice and its Lagoon is designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro 3.2.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Sigma 18-200mm
BEST VIEWED LARGER