St Andrew’s & St George’s Church (formerly St Andrew’s church), George Street, Edinburgh, Scotland.
St Andrew’s & St George’s Church sits on the north side of George Street and due to its eliptical plan, creates space back from the street – either side of the central portico – that is unusual on this street, reminiscent of Bernini’s beautiful S.Andrea in Rome. The church’s steeple was added three years after completion.
The church is oval shaped. It’s claimed that there are no corners for the Devil to hide!
St Andrew’s & St George’s was the first centre of Christian worship in Edinburgh New Town. The church was built by Edinburgh City Council to his oval design. The spire was added in 1787.
Two churches, St Andrew’s and St George’s, were planned as principal elements in what was then one of the largest urban building schemes ever conceived – James Craig’s plan of 1767 for the New Town of Edinburgh.
The Town Council held a competition for a design for the eastern church, St Andrew’s, which was won by Captain Andrew Frazer and Robert Kay. The church was founded in 1781 and opened in 1784.
St George’s Church (now West Register House), designed by Robert Adam (1728-92), although much modified by Robert Reid (1774 – 1856) who was tasked with the actual construction was built on the west side of Edinburgh’s Charlotte Square at the west end of George Street.
In 1843 one of the most significant events in Scotland of the 19th century took place in St Andrew’s Church – the Disruption. Fuelled by increasing concern and resentment about the Civil Courts’ infringements on the liberties of the Church of Scotland, around one third of the ministers present at the annual General Assembly walked out, cheered by onlookers outside, and constituted the Free Church of Scotland.
In 1964 the congregation of St George’s Church was united with St Andrew’s, forming St Andrew’s and St George’s.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Related shots can be found at: Edinburgh