Standing in Parliament Square and part of the Royal mile in Edinburgh, Scotland, is St Giles Cathedral. It is especially bound to John Knox, who was its minister from 1559 to 1572 and preached an uncompromising Calvinist message launching the Scottish Reformation. Referred to as the High Kirk of Edinburgh, St Giles has been watching over Edinburgh spiritually for over 900 years. It was the political and religious centre of Edinburgh for most of the Middle Ages.
Between 1909 and 1911 a chapel for the Knights of the Thistle was added at the south east corner of the church. The Thistle Chapel measures just 37ft by 18ft but is extremely richly decorated.
Robert Lorimer designed the Thistle Chapel in a very particular Scottish style with angels playing bagpipes. This chapel is related to the Order of the Thistle, which is Scotland’s highest order of chivalry instituted by James II in 1687. A new addition is the Burns window in 1985 showing themes from the poetry of Robert Burns.
Information supplied by Wikipedia.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Canon 18-55mm IS lens
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Three bracketed JPGs converted to HDR in Photomatix.