Saint Mark’s Basilica (Italian: Basilica di San Marco a Venezia), the cathedral church of Venice, is the most famous of the city’s churches and one of the best known examples of Byzantine architecture. It lies on Piazza San Marco adjacent and connected to the Doge’s Palace.
Originally it was the “chapel” of the Venetian rulers, and not the city’s cathedral. Since 1807 it has been the seat of the Patriarch of Venice, archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Venice. For its opulent design, gilded Byzantine mosaics, and its status as a symbol of Venetian wealth and power, from the 11th century on the building was known by the nickname Chiesa d’Oro (Church of gold).
The whole of Venice and its Lagoon is designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Click here for an aerial view.
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro 3.2.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Sigma 18-200mm lens
Exif data from the JPG
Focal length 21 mm
BEST VIEWED LARGER