The Basilica di Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari, usually just called the Frari, is a church in Venice, northern Italy. One the greatest churches in the city, it has the status of a minor Basilica. It stands on the Campo dei Frari at the heart of the San Polo district. The church is dedicated to the Assumption (Italian: Assunzione della Beata Virgine).
The Franciscans were granted land to build a church in 1250, but the building was not completed until 1338. Work almost immediately began on its much larger replacement, the current church, which took over a century to build. The Campanile, the second tallest in the city after that of San Marco, was completed in 1396.
The imposing edifice is built of brick, and is one of the city’s three notable churches built in the Italian Gothic style. As with many Venetian churches, the exterior is rather plain. The interior contains the only rood screen still in place in Venice.
On the left of the shot is the campanile of Chiesa di San Pantaleone Martire, known as San Pantalon in the Venetian dialect.
The whole of Venice and its Lagoon is designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
(Information supplied by Wikipedia).
Click here for an aerial view.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Sigma 18-200mm lens
Exif data from the JPG
Focal length 48 mm
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Featured in : Cityscapes and City Skylines : 30 Aug 10