The Morosini Fountain in Eleftheriou Venizelou Square in the old quarter of Heraklion, Crete.
Built in 1628 by the Venetians and named after the Venetian governor during that time. The lions on the fountain pre-date the rest of the structure by 100 years.
The fountain was built to commemorate an impressive Venetian construction which brought drinking water to Iraklion from Mount Youktas, a distance of 15km.
To the locals, the square is known as the Lions Square. During the period of Arab rule (9th-10th century AD), the square was the largest slave market in the Eastern Mediterranean.
During the Byzantine period (10th-13th century), the Lions Square was the site of the residence of the Byzantine governor of Heraklion.
In Venetian times (13th-17th century), this was where the Palace of the Venetian Duke of Crete (the Palazzo Ducale) stood, where the Duke and his two councillors (Consiglieri) decided the fate of Heraklion and its people.
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro 3.2.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Sigma 18-200mm lens
Exif data from the JPG
Focal length 18 mm
BEST VIEWED LARGER