Designed by Andrea Palladio, Chiesa del Redentore (Basilica of the Most Holy Redeemer), better known simply as Il Redentore (Church of the Redeemer), is located on La Giudecca, one of the major Islands of Venice, Italy.
A festival and the church owe their origin to an epidemic of plague in 1576. At that time the Senate vowed to build the church and to celebrate the Feast of the Redemption; the Franciscans undertook the religious obligations. The building of the church began in 1577 and was completed in 1592.
After the dedication of the church the Doge came every year with the chief officials of the state to a thanksgiving service. The Venetians still make a pilgrimage here on the Feast of the Redemption (3rd Sunday in July) to thank the Saviour for the end of the epidemic. A bridge of boats is constructed from Zattere across the Giudecca Canal, over which the procession makes its way to the Church of the Redeemer. In the evening the festival concludes with a magnificent fireworks display and a procession of illuminated boats.
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Sigma 18-200mm lens
Exif data from the JPG
Focal length 59 mm
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Featured in : Canon DSLR : 2 Oct 09
Featured in : Happy Haven Photography : 5 Oct 09
Featured in : Dimensions : 6 Nov 09
Featured in : Old and New Buildings : 9 May 10
Featured in : PostCard Style : 17 Apr 12
Featured in : PostCards-Destinations : 20 Apr 12
Featured in : Artists Universe : 26 Apr 12
Featured in : Christian Churches, Statues & Crosses : 28 Apr 12
Featured in : THE GROUP : 24 May 12