Gardener’s cottage, in West Princes Street Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland.
Princes Street Gardens were acquired by the city in 1876 and further landscaped by the City Architect Robert Morham (1839 -1912). Morham also built the Gardener’s cottage in 1886.
To the right of the cottage is the semicircle of rectangular standing stones depicting the history of the Royal Scots Regiment.
The central stone is inscribed with names of the campaigns in which the Regiment took part and a central bronze plaque shows the insignia of George VI.
The memorial was unveiled on 5th August 1952 by HRH Princess Mary, the Colonel in Chief. The final stone was unveiled on 9th of May 2007 by HRH Princess Ann to commemorate the end of the Regiment.
Behind the Royal Scots memorial you can see the stately towers of New College on The Mound and to the right of this is The Hub, at the top of Edinburgh’s Royal Mile. Its Gothic spire – the highest point in central Edinburgh – towers over the surrounding buildings, including the adjacent castle.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Canon 18-55mm IS lens
Exif data from the JPG
Focal length 18 mm
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Three bracketed JPGs converted to HDR in Photomatix Pro.