Edinburgh, the capital city of Scotland is a green and pleasant place.
Looking towards the Mound in the Old Town. On the left can be seen The Hub, at the top of Edinburgh’s Royal Mile. Its gothic spire – the highest point in central Edinburgh – towers over the surrounding buildings, including the adjacent castle.
In the centre of the shot are the stately towers of New College on The Mound.
On the right, the cream buildings with red roofs are called Ramsay Garden.
The Mound is an artificial hill which connects Edinburgh’s New Town and its Old Town. It was formed by the dumping of 1,501,000 cartloads of earth excavated from the draining of the Nor Loch – which today forms Princes Street Gardens and the foundations of Princes Street. The Mound was officially opened in 1781. When the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway was extended to Waverley in 1846, tunnels were driven under The Mound to allow access to the west.
Today The Mound is a busy, if fairly steep, thoroughfare taking traffic from Princes Street, over the Royal Mile and into the Old Town. Due to its raised elevation, the Mound commands expansive views over Princes Street and the New Town of Edinburgh and towards Calton Hill.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Three bracketed JPGs converted to HDR in Photomatix.
Featured in : ImageWriting : 27 June 09