New College in Edinburgh, Scotland looking West up the Mound.
New College was opened in 1846 as a college of the Free Church of Scotland, later of the United Free Church of Scotland, and from the 1930s has been the home of the School of Divinity (formerly the Faculty of Divinity) of the University of Edinburgh. As “New College” it continues the historic commitment to offer a programme of academic preparation for ministry in the Church of Scotland, also made use of by ministerial candidates from other churches. In the 1970s the Faculty of Divinity also began offering undergraduate degrees in Theology and Religious Studies, and students in these programmes now make up the majority of the nearly 300 undergraduates enrolled in any given year. Cognisant of its history, the School of Divinity is proud of the international character of its staff and students, welcoming people from many different religious and non-religious backgrounds.
New College is one of the largest and most renowned centres for (post)graduate studies in Theology and Religious Studies in the UK, with approximately 150 students in masters and PhD degree programmes in any given year, and from over 30 countries. There are now nearly 30 full-time members of the academic staff, and they include internationally respected scholars in various specialities.
The Mound is an artificial hill which connects Edinburgh’s New Town and its Old Town. It was formed by the dumping of 1,501,000 cartloads of earth excavated from the draining of the Nor Loch – which today forms Princes Street Gardens and the foundations of Princes Street1. The Mound was officially opened in 1781. When the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway was extended to Waverley in 1846, tunnels were driven under The Mound to allow access to the west.
Today The Mound is a busy, if fairly steep, thoroughfare taking traffic from Princes Street, over the Royal Mile and into the Old Town. Due to its raised elevation, the Mound commands expansive views over Princes Street and the New Town of Edinburgh and towards Calton Hill.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Three bracketed JPGs converted to HDR in Photomatix.