Free Church of Scotland Assembly Hall, Edinburgh, Scotland. A 19th century church (also known as St Columba’s Free Church), situated just off the Royal Mile at the junction of Castlehill, Johnston Terrace and Upper Bow.
Designed by Thomas Hamilton, built between 1843-5 with alterations in 1908 by Thomas Ruskin. An Ecclesiastical building still in use as such. Originally called the Free St John’s Church, built immediately after the Disruption of 1843. Hamilton’s pulpit was sketched by Ruskin, who thought it an ‘abomination.’ Burnet’s alterations of 1908 were to make the building more suitable for its new use as the Free Church Assembly Hall.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
BEST VIEWED LARGER
1 shot RAW file converted to 3 exposures in photoshop raw converter, HDR’d and tonemapped in Photomatix.
Featured in : Neighborhoods : 22 May 09