The Thomas Chalmers Centre, Kirkliston is a former ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. Now a church hall, the foundation stone was laid by Dr Thomas Chalmers the great Free Church Leader. It was financed mainly by James Maitland Hog, one of the 5 founding elders, and the spire was added in 1880 as a memorial to him. In 1945 the building was converted to a congregational hall attached to Kirkliston Parish Church which is situated in the same pretty square. In 1988 the interior was completely reconstructed with additions to rear to form the Thomas Chalmers Church Centre.
The small town of Kirkliston is an outlying suburb of Edinburgh, Scotland.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Three bracketed JPGs converted to HDR in Photomatix.
Featured in : Historic Churches : 27 May 09