Kirknewton & East Calder Parish Church (KNEC) serves the communities of Kirknewton and East Calder, along with their outlying areas, in the West Lothian presbytery of the Church of Scotland.
1146 – Kirknewton Church was founded and dedicated to St. Cuthbert
1148 – A church was similarly founded and dedicated in East Calder. Its ruin can be seen in the old graveyard (see here).
For the next 500 years, Kirknewton and East Calder were separate parishes
1750 – The present Church building (not shown here_) was opened in Kirknewton and served both Kirknewton and East Calder
1776 – A United Presbyterian Church was formed in East Calder. This subsequently became a United Free Church, and its building is the present church hall (not shown here_)
1886 – The present East Calder church building (this one) was erected in East Calder Main Street. This was a United Free Church, and the old UF church became the church hall.
1929 – The United Free Church became part of the Church of Scotland nationally.
1944 – The two Church of Scotland congregations in Kirknewton and East Calder re-united into a single parish.
All information supplied by the Kirknewton & East Calder Parish Church Web Site
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Three bracketed JPGs converted to HDR in Photomatix.
Related shots can be found at: Lowland Scotland.
Sold a Card on 14th Apr 09
Sold a Small Laminated Print on 14th Apr 09