An old cemetery lying on Calton Hill in Edinburgh which opened in 1718 for the burial of tradesmen and merchants. It was extended in 1767, but divided in 1818 by the building of Waterloo Place (the street at bottom right).
The larger part lies to the south of Waterloo Place and includes a number of grand and interesting memorials. An enormous obelisk (shaped liked Cleopatra’s needle) by Thomas Hamilton (1784 – 1858) remembers the political martyrs of 1793, who were ‘transported’ for sedition.
The classical monument (the round one) to philosopher David Hume (1711-76) was built in 1777 by Robert Adam (1728-92) and the Emancipation Monument (1893), comprising a bronze of Abraham Lincoln with a grateful freed slave, remembers the Scottish soldiers who fought in the American Civil War (1861-5).
Other residents include painter David Allan (1744-96), Robert Burn (1752 – 1815), who had built the Nelson Monument on Calton Hill and was the father of architect William Burn (1789 – 1870), publisher Archibald Constable (1774 – 1827) and sculptor Sir John Steell (1804-91).
Behind all this is the panorama of the magnificent Edinburgh skyline from the Crown of St. Giles Cathedral on the left, the towering height of the Spire of the Hub in the center and Edinburgh Castle on the right.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Three bracketed JPGs converted to HDR in Photomatix Pro.
Related shots can be found at: Edinburgh.