|Small Greeting Card||Large Greeting Card||Postcard|
|4" x 6"||5" x 7.5"||4" x 6"|
Lt. General Wade’s Bridge at Aberfeldy in the Breadalbane region of Highland Perthshire (Breadalbane means “Highland Scotland” in Gaelic). Shot taken on Saturday 20th December 08 in the middle of our winter.
Designed by William Adam, Scotland’s best architect. The total cost was £3,596 or, in today’s terms, over £1m.
”… a freestone bridge over the Tay, of five arches, nearly 400ft. in length, the middle arch 60 feet wide, the starlings of oak and the piers and landbreasts founded on piles shod with iron….” (House of Commons Journal, 7th February 1734).
The bridge was first opened to traffic at the end of October 1733. Wade regarded it the greatest of his considerable achievements in road-making. In 9 years he had personally supervised the construction of over 250 miles of military roads in the Highlands – the first engineered roads in Britain since Roman times.
lt is now the only one of Wade’s 35 major bridges to remain in use as a public highway. Built for 18th century wheeled carriages, it survives to the 21st century as a great memorial to a great roadbuilding engineer.
The River Tay, Scotland longest river, meanders across Scotland from Loch Tay before flowing out to sea at the Firth of Tay.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Three bracketed JPGs converted to HDR in Photomatix.
Related shots can be found at: Highland Scotland.
Featured in : Stream Crossings : 29 Mar 09
Click on the image below to get a view of the other side of the bridge