‘De Valk’ (The Falcon) is a seven floor 29-metre stone tower mill in Leiden, Netherlands, dating from 1743.
De Valk is the only remaining windmill out of nineteen windmills built on the city walls of Leiden.
The present mill has had two predecessors. In 1611, the post mill ‘De Valck’ was built upon the Valkenburger bulwark and later made way for a wooden tower mill in 1667.
The only remaining town miller’s residence in the Netherlands has been kept largely intact on the ground floor. The almost complete original furnishings take the visitor back in time to 1900.
Shot taken early afternoon, Sunday 11th January 09.
BEST VIEWED LARGER