The Black Watch Memorial in front of Lt. General Wade’s Bridge over the River Tay in the town of Aberfeldy in the Breadalbane Region of Highland Perthshire (Breadalbane is from the Gaelic; Bràghaid Alban", meaning; the High Ground of Scotland). Shot taken on Saturday 20th December 08 in the middle of our winter.
The Black Watch Memorial was unveiled in 1877 in honor of the Black Watch Regiment which was first established in Aberfeldy. The monument takes the form of a massive cairn surmounted by the statue of Private Farquhar Shaw dressed in the original uniform of the Regiment.
The bridge was first opened to traffic at the end of October 1733. Wade regarded it the greatest of his considerable achievements in road-making. In 9 years he had personally supervised the construction of over 250 miles of military roads in the Highlands – the first engineered roads in Britain since Roman times.
lt is now the only one of Wade’s 35 major bridges to remain in use as a public highway. Built for 18th century wheeled carriages, it survives to the 21st century as a great memorial to a great road building engineer.
The River Tay, Scotland longest river, meanders across Scotland from Loch Tay before flowing out to sea at the Firth of Tay.
Three bracketed JPGs converted to HDR in Photomatix Pro.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Related shots can be found at: Highland Scotland.
Sold 1 Card : 11th Dec 10