The Ross Doocot, in Learmonth Gardens, close to the Strawberry Bank area of Linlithgow, West Lothian, Scotland. Doocot is the Scots word for a building devoted to the domestication of pigeons.
Built by the Barons Ross of Halkhead in the 16th century, to fattened pigeons as part of the winter diet, it is a circular beehive dovecot, containing 370 nesting boxes in its thick rubble walls, bound by three projecting rat-courses.
Learmonth Gardens commemorate Alexander Learmonth, Provost of Linlithgow, 1802-1807. A Provost is the Scots equivalent of a Mayor.
Three bracketed JPGs converted to HDR in Photomatix.
BEST VIEWED LARGER