This magnificent life size bronze statue of The Duke of Wellington mounted on a rearing horse was sculpted by Sir John Steel (1804 – 1891) and erected outside Register House, Edinburgh, Scotland in 1852 among much celebration.
The Duke himself was so pleased that he commissioned two further versions of the sculpture, one for his home, Apsley House and the other for Eton London.
The tower on the right is Nelson’s Monument which replaced an existing mast on Calton Hill’s summit with a signal-tower high enough to be visible to ships on the River Forth and commemorates Admiral Lord Nelson’s death at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.
The stone structure is 106 ft high with 143 steps from a base 456 ft above sea level. The really smart aspect of this tower is the time signal installed at its top in 1852 to enable ships’ captains to set their chronometers accurately. A large time-ball drops on weekdays, at 12pm in Winter and 1pm in Summer coinciding with the firing of Edinburgh Castle’s One o’Clock Gun.
Three bracketed JPGs converted to HDR in Photomatix Pro.
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Featured in : CELTIC REALM : 6 Apr 14