The fountain and statue of Greyfriers Bobby is in the centre of the shot, and behind it, an Edinburgh Tour Bus coming up Candlemaker Row.
On February 15th 1858 John Grey an Edinburgh Police force night watchman died from tuberculosis and was buried in Greyfriars Church yard.
His faithful sky terrier (Bobby) became a local legend because he refused to leave his masters grave.
Sir William Chambers (The Lord Provost of Edinburgh) paid Bobby’s license and presented him with a collar with a brass inscription “Greyfriars Bobby from the Lord Provost 1867 licensed”. This can be seen at the Museum of Edinburgh.
The people of Edinburgh took good care of Bobby, but still he remained loyal to his master. For fourteen years the faithful dog kept watch and guard over the grave until his own death in 1872.
Baroness Angelia Georgina Burdett-Coutts, President of the Ladies Committee of the RSPCA, asked the City Council for permission to erect a granite fountain with a statue of Bobby placed on top.
BEST VIEWED LARGER