One of Edinburgh’s most popular tourist attractions, the Floral Clock in West Princes Street Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland, next to the Mound.
Commissioned on the 10th June, 1903, this is the oldest floral clock in the world. It is seasonally replanted in a topical design with around 35,000 colourful plants to commemorate special occassions. This year the design commemorates the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Territorial Army.
The clock is 3.5m (12 feet) in diameter and the hands, which are driven by an electric motor, weigh more than 60kg (130 lbs). The electrically-driven mechanism replaced a clock-work motor in 1973, which had required to be wound daily.
There is also a cuckoo which calls each hour.
Three bracketed JPGs converted to HDR in Photomatix.
BEST VIEWED LARGER