The ruins of the 12th century Kinneil Church at the site of the Medieval village of Kinneil, Falkirk District, Scotland. Only the west gable is left standing.
The church was originally built in the 1100s, and by the 1400s was the focus of the village of Kinneil, which occupied much of the parkland to the south of the church. The main street through the village even reused the stone base of the (otherwise turf) Antonine Wall (the northermost frontier of the Roman Empire).
During major redevelopment of Kinneil House in 1667, the village was cleared to allow a park to be established, the villagers mostly relocating to the rapidly growing town of Bo’ness (properly Borrowstouness) a short distance away.
Today, all that remains of the village and the villagers are the grave slabs around the ruin of the church (and others kept in the vault of the palace of Kinneil House).
The church itself continued to be used as a chapel by the Hamilton family until 1745, when it was accidentally burned down by troops based in it to guard Kinneil House during the Jacobite Uprising.
Three bracketed JPGs converted to HDR in Photomatix Pro 4.2.1.
BEST VIEWED LARGER