Lying about three miles west of South Queensferry, Scotland, is the tiny hamlet of Abercorn. Abercorn House is the largest house left in the Hamlet.
Abercorn (Gaelic: Obar Chùirnidh) is a village and parish in West Lothian, Scotland. Close to the south coast of the Firth of Forth, the village is around 5 km (3 miles) west of South Queensferry.
The Bede mentions Abercorn as the site of a monastery and seat of Bishop Trumwine. This is now known to have existed close to the present day church. The church itself dates partially from the 12th century, although its most interesting features are the private aisles created for the three major families of the area, the Dalyells, the Hamiltons, and later the Hopes, who had their own enclosure behind the altar built by architect William Bruce. The Hope mausoleum, designed by William Burn, is located in the kirkyard. Older burial monuments include Viking “hogback” stones, and fragments of 7th century crosses.
A castle also existed here from Norman times, although it was demolished in 1455 by James II during a siege against the “Black” earls of Douglas. The House of the Binns, seat of the Dalyell family, is within the parish.
The lands of Abercorn were granted to Claud Hamilton in the 16th century. His son was created earl of Abercorn. In the 17th century the estate was sold to the Hope family, who were created earls of Hopetoun, and built Hopetoun House to the east of the village.
Abercorn’s population was recorded as 1,044 at the time of the 1821 census, although it has since declined.
Three bracketed JPGs converted to HDR in Photomatix.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Sold a Card on 1st Jul 08