Built by Sir James Hamilton of Finnart and dating from around 1530, Craignethan castle was the last great private stronghold built in Scotland. Located by the River Nethan just 4.5 miles north west of the town of Lanark in South Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Hamilton was executed by James V in 1540 and the castle was eventually taken over by his half brother, James, the second Earl of Arran. Mary Queen of Scots was sheltered in the castle for a short time after her abdication and prior to her defeat at Langside on 13 May 1568.
The castle was destroyed in 1579 to ensure it could never be used against the crown again.
BEST VIEWED LARGER