Looking north up the Kirkgate in the town of Linlithgow, West Lothian, Scotland.
On the cemetery wall on the right are plaques bearing the names and dates for the royal line of succession from Mary Queen of Scots to the present monarch.
At the top of the hill is the Gateway leading to Linlithgow Palace, some of which can be seen behind the gatehouse.
Dating from 1535, the Gateway features four carved and painted panels representing the orders of knighthood borne by James V – the Golden Fleece, St Michael, the Garter and the Thistle.
On the right of the Gateway is St Michael’s Parish Church, one of Britain’s finest parish churches. Consecrated in 1242, the church was rebuilt shortly after a fire in 1424. In 1821, the tower lost its 15th-century stone crown – to be replaced in 1964 by an aluminium spire.
Linlithgow Palace Gateway is an Historic Scotland Category A Listed Building (HB Number 37470).
Linlithgow Palace is an Historic Scotland Category A Listed Building (HB Number 37469).
St. Michael’s Church is an Historic Scotland Category A Listed Building (HB Number 37499).
The Kirkgate Walls are an Historic Scotland Category B Listed Structure (HB Number 37467)
Camera: Sony NEX-7
Lens: Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Di III VC
Single RAW Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro.