Calton Hill in Edinburgh, Scotland, taken from Princes Street.
The tower is Nelson’s Monument which replaced an existing mast on Calton Hill’s summit with a signal-tower high enough to be visible to ships on the Forth and commemorates Admiral Lord Nelson’s death at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.
The stone structure is 106 ft high with 143 steps from a base 456 ft above sea level. The really smart aspect of this tower is the time signal installed at its top in 1852 to enable ships’ captains to set their chronometers accurately. A large time-ball drops on weekdays, at 12pm in Winter and 1pm in Summer coinciding with the firing of Edinburgh Castle’s One o’Clock Gun.
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Related shots can be found at: Lowland Scotland.