St Andrew’s & St George’s Church (formerly St Andrew’s church), George Street, Edinburgh, Scotland.
St Andrew’s & St George’s Church sits on the north side of George Street and due to its eliptical plan, creates space back from the street – either side of the central portico – that is unusual on this street, reminiscent of Bernini’s beautiful S.Andrea in Rome. The church’s steeple was added three years after completion.
The church is oval shaped. It’s claimed that there are no corners for the Devil to hide!
St Andrew’s & St George’s was the first centre of Christian worship in Edinburgh New Town. The church was built by Edinburgh City Council to his oval design. The spire was added in 1787.
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Related shots can be found at: Edinburgh