The development of the harbour in Whitehaven started with the beginning of the Irish coal trade. In 1634 Sir Christopher Lowther built a stone jetty, now known as the Old Quay (the wall at the back of the shot). It is one of the oldest remaining coal wharves in Britain. This was extended in 1655 and again in 1687.
The buildings on the Old Quay are the Watchtower (built in the 1730’s) and on its left, the Pier Master’s Watch House (built in 1764).
Whitehaven, on the West coast of Cumbria was the last place in Britain to be attacked by American naval forces. On 23rd April 1778 during the American War of Independence, John Paul Jones arrived in Britain with the intention of setting the whole merchant fleet on fire. The alarm was raised, and he retreated forthwith. Another American link is that Mildred Warner Gale, the grandmother of the American president George Washington, was buried in the grounds of St Nicholas’ Church in Whitehaven, on 30th January 1701.
Camera: Sony NEX-7
Lens: Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Di III VC
Three bracketed RAWs Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro.
BEST VIEWED LARGER